No! Never DIY
In NSW it is illegal for anyone but a qualified electrician to do any domestic wiring or house rewiring. Even if the work has been done to standard it will not pass certification which is bad news especially if you need to sell the property. It makes sense for safety to hire a qualified electrician to carry out all your household wiring and not only do you risk your personal safety and the safety of your family and friends you also risk your insurance company not paying up if something were to go wrong.
Smoke alarms should be inspected and tested every 6 months and as per AUS standards need to be replaced every 10 years.
An RCD is a residual-current device, also known as a safety switch. A safety switch detects the loss of power from the circuit and cuts the supply of electricity in as little as 30 milliseconds – 0.003 seconds if a fault is found. Importantly, this response time is faster than the critical section of a heartbeat, and therefore significantly reduces the risk of death or serious injury. Each circuit in your home should have an RCD safety switch.
If you have lost power to part of your house and an RCD has tripped before calling an electrician try these 3 steps:
- Switch off and unplug everything on the tripped circuit, this includes fridges, freezers, pumps, dish washers etc.
- Try to reset and switch on the RCD – if the RCD hold on with nothing plugged in it means a fluty appliance.
- Go back around and plug everything back in one by one if/ when the power trips again you have found your faulty appliance.
- If you have unplugged everything and the switch does not switch back on even with everything unplugged call a licenced electrician.
JDY Electrical recommend that you should have an electrical inspection carried out if:
- You are purchasing a property that has been occupied.
- The property is more than 20 years old.
- If it is more than 5 years since one has been done.
- If you are concerned about how any of the equipment may have been installed.
All our staff are fully immunised against Covid19. We carry face masks and hand sanitiser and will wear a face mask upon request of the customer. The team at JDY Electrical have all done COVID-19 training and will uphold a no touch tradesman visit policy as well as paperless and contactless delivery of invoices and quotes.